The ports I always install
devel/autotools - This port will install a number of tools used to build other ports.
Collection of tools that will help you manage your ports tree:
- ports-mgmt/psearch - An utility for searching the FreeBSD Ports Collection.
- ports-mgmt/portupgrade: Upgrade installed port: portupgrade <port name>. Or portupgrade -a to upgrade everything outdated.
- ports-mgmt/pkg-rmleaf: Deinstall port and its dependencies.
- ports-mgmt/pkg_tree: Generate a graphical tree of packages and their dependencies.
- ports-mgmt/portdowngrade: Install earlier versions of ports.
- ports-mgmt/fastest_sites - Find the fastest mirror for every mirror list in bsd.sites.mk.
# fastest_sites > /etc/fastest_sites.conf # echo '.include "/etc/fastest_sites.conf"' >> /etc/make.conf
security/sudo - Program designed to allow a sysadmin to give limited root privileges to users and log root activity.
sysutils/tmux - Tmux is a terminal multiplexer, it enables a number of terminals to be accessed and controlled from a single terminal.
www/links - Lynx-like WWW browser with text and graphics modes with many features.
sysutils/smartmontools - Control and monitor SMART capable storage systems.
sysutils/dvd+rw-tools - This software allows one to perform DVD recording using a DVD burner, primarily via the "growisofs" utility. Users of FreeBSD 9 can use it out of the box, except for devfs setup. Users of FreeBSD 8 and earliear should refer to handbook.